9/17/2010

Life is the greatest teacher

By Abubakar Jamil
As I look across the horizon at the faces of the young people around me, I weep. A once proud part of the human race, the younger generation has been described as lazy, overemotional, and disrespectful.
I myself used to have all three of these characteristics. Not when I was an adventure-seeking, rambunctious toddler, but as an older high school teenager.
It was at this stage that my foolish rascal tendencies were at their highest. I would constantly complain, care for my friends more than my family, and in general would just talk all the time.
Then came a moment when I wondered where I would end up. Would I remain on track to becoming a doctor like my parents wanted? Am I just going to keep acting like a child for the rest of my life?
This moment would serve as the spark that set in motion a process of learning life lesson, 
molding me into the person you're reading through your computer screen.


Since then, I've learned a great many things, but these are the lessons that I wished I'd stumbled upon earlier:
1. Everyone's opinion matters only as much as you want them to.
There was a time when everyone's opinion was mine as well. Whatever preferences I formerly held were dashed in the face of another's. This most likely came from a need to please others.
Remember that your opinion matters just as much as the next guy's, whether they make more money than you or are less popular than you. Everyone's opinion holds the same weight.
2. Your emotions are under your control.
Drama, chaos, and emotional unrest — these were what took up most of my time as a teenager. When everyone's obsessed with what's in and what's not, tempers flare; mine mostly.
If I had heard someone said rotten things behind my back, I'd erupt. Go crazy. Looking back on those tantrums now, I'm not too surprised. After all, when you have little self control, anything is possible.
The lessons here is, remain aware of how you react.
3. Arguments are pointless.
Will one small quarrel among friends decide the fate of the entire universe? In my world it felt like it. I just wanted so much to be right and for them so much to be wrong. But in the end, it only resulted in me wasting my time and in the other person storming off in frustration.
Is there really a point to arguing? Unless it's absolutely necessary, I've learned that it's better to hold your breath on things you can't control at all.
Arguing to change someone's mind is one of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks